Naura / 0356798 / Interactive Spatial Design
GCD60804 / Design Principles
Task 3: Development & Design

__________________________________________________________
JUMP LINKS:__________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________
TASK 03: Development & Design
Our task includes:
- This task involves further developing one selected design idea from Task 2 by applying core design principles. The chosen concept must be refined through color exploration, composition, typography, and positioning.
- Deliverables:
- Format: A4 size, JPEG, 300 dpi.
- Naming Convention: Title of Design_Full Name_Task 3.
- Rationale: A 200-word explanation covering design decisions, meaning, and principles used.
- Lecturer's Feedback
__________________________________________________________
 |
| Fig 1.0 | Selected Sketch |
My goal for this was to take the soft, "painterly" feel of Henri Matisse’s oil paintings and recreate it in a digital 3D space. I wanted the final result to look like a painting itself, blending traditional art styles with modern tools in Blender.
The process began with a hand-drawn sketch that I used as my primary reference. Converting a flat, expressive drawing into a 3D environment was a unique challenge. The most difficult part was modeling the goldfish.
.png) |
| Fig 1.0 | Goldfish Wireframe Model |
After modeling the fish, I moved on to creating the plants.
.png) |
| Fig 1.1 | Fern Model |
.png) |
| Fig 1.2 | Banana leaf Model |
Once the 3D models for the goldfish and plants were finished, I began arranging them to match my original sketch. So, I duplicated and positioned each object to recreate the composition I wanted. To make the scene feel more immersive than a flat painting, I focused on adding depth. By layering the plants and fish at different distances from the camera (instead of scaling them).
.png) |
| Fig 1.3 | Arrangement from the side |
.png) |
| Fig 1.4 | Adding colors |
To get the final look, I initially tested a
youtube tutorial which uses
Kuwahara and sharpening nodes. However, the result felt too realistic and a bit "dull." It also created a specific type of digital brushstroke that looked too much like an
AI filter, which I definitely wanted to avoid. I wanted the project to feel like a human made it, not a computer.
 |
| Fig 1.5 | Rendered without paint brush effect but added a Kuwahara effect to it |
To get a true painterly effect, I used
Geometry Nodes to turn the 3D surfaces into actual brushstrokes. I followed a
youtube tutorial that showed me how to apply these strokes directly to the mesh. Even though the nodes were quite complicated to set up, I loved the result because it made the objects feel "built" out of paint rather than just being flat shapes.
 |
| Fig 1.6 | The geometry nodes |
.png) |
| Fig 1.7 | The texture on viewport |
.png) |
| Fig 1.8 | Render viewport display |
 |
| Fig 1.9 | Pre-compositor |
To make the 3D scene match the mood of my initial sketch, I focused on the "glow" of the environment. I added a tint to the translucent materials in the compositor to give the light a softer, more natural feel as it passes through objects. Then, I added a glare (bloom) effect to create a whimsical, dreamlike atmosphere. This gave it the magical, airy quality I wanted.
Final Design
 |
| Fig 2.0 | Vivid Isolation_Naura Muthia Nazhmi_Task 03 |
- Decisions made in your design
I chose a deep blue palette over warmer tones to better simulate a marine environment and create a stronger contrast for the subjects. Technically, I experimented with painterly brush nodes in Blender to translate Matisse's oil painting style into a 3D space; the resulting textures create a unique, fragmented look.
- Meaning and purpose of the design
By deconstructing Matisse’s goldfish bowl into four separate spheres, I explored the theme of 'Individual Bubbles' which basically means the private spaces of experience and comfort we inhabit. While separated, the fish are unified by their forward-facing orientation, symbolizing a shared persistence and a focus on the future.
- Design principles employed to create the design
I used asymmetrical balance to place the bubbles at different heights, creating a more natural movement through the space. High-value contrast and repetition keep the goldfish as the main focus, while a complementary-adjacent color scheme creates unity and harmony between the vibrant yellow bubbles and the dark green environment.__________________________________________________________
Feedback
10.03.26 : While the design is a bit abstract, it is a strong start. The current focus is now on refinement ensuring that even within an abstract style, the composition remains balanced. Per the lecturer's instructions, I have moved the relevant notes from Task 02 to Task 01 to ensure the task structure is correct.
__________________________________________________________
Other links
Comments
Post a Comment